Skip to main content

The "So You Think You Can Dance" Effect: How a TV Show Changed The Dance World- Review Day 3

I grew up watching "So You Think You Can Dance" (SYTYCD) and have been dancing my entire life, and totally agree with this article. SYTYCD has pushed me to become a better dancer so that one day I could compete on the show. Every day in the dance studio I push my self harder than the day before and I constantly stretch to keep my self from hurting my body in any way. SYTYCD has also given me an interest in learning new styles of dance. Before watching the show, I only danced Ballet (on flat and on point). Now 15 years later, I do Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Lyrical, and Hip Hop. The show was my inspiration, for if I want to compete I have to be able to dance each of these at least a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spellbinding Luminosity: Ballet Students in Balanchine's 'Scotch Symphony'- Review day 8

Mira Nadon, 16, and Davide Riccardo, 17, preformed a duet by George Balanchine on June 3rd. Durning this beautiful and "romantic 1952 homage to the Highland landscape" piece, Nadon's character teases the guy and will "'call to him then say no, and he has to run after her.'" The chemistry so strong and "a happy surprise," between the two of them. They have never worked together before this but as Suki Schorer, who put together the "Scotch Symphony", said, "'They have chemistry together that is magic.'" I absolutely love this dance so much! It is so beautiful and light hearted. You can definitely see and feel the connection between the two of them. They are so beautiful to watch.  

What It's Like to Go from Stardom to the Corps de Ballet-Review Day 12

Starting in a small local dance school and ending up in the Corps de Ballet is huge, but most dancers don't even realize how or when they go there. "I wasn't even thinking about a career yet. It was all sort of a whirlwind, and I just went with it." says Betsy McBride, a 24 year-old dancer who started in her local dance school at the age of 3 in the suburbs of Dallas. At 14, Mc Bride went to a summer intensive to get better and learn more, at a school that's affiliated with the Texas Ballet Theater. After a few weeks, she was offered a year-round place at the school. A couple months after that, she was hired into the Texas Ballet Theater. In 2015, McBride contacted the American Ballet Theater, in search of something bigger and new to do in her career. ABT originally said that there were no open spots but offered to let her take a class with them. After the class was over, she had made a good enough impression that a spot just so happened to open up and she was of...

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" Review

James Berardinelli wrote a review over the Western movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid stating that the movie "remains one of the best crafted and most beloved of all the Westerns". I partly, but mostly, agree with this (and I've seen my fair share of Westerns because of my uncle). Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a more whimsy and comedic approach of a Western movie, where others are more serious and violence driven. Not to say that Butch Cassidy doesn't have violence in it, because believe me, it's got plenty of on screen deaths; yet none are extremely gruesome. I enjoyed the movie and found it easy to watch for a Western, and funny in some of the most intense scenes of the movie, such as when they were under pursuit of the bounty hunters and the only way to escape was to jump into the river, but the Sundance Kid didn't want to jump because "' I can't swim!'" Butch stared laughing, as did all of the audience who watched th...